nanogui: VNC with latest Git image of Nano-X

Subject: Re: [nanogui] VNC with latest Git image of Nano-X
From: Pete Klemm ####@####.####
Date: 18 Sep 2012 16:43:05 -0000

On 7/5/2012 12:38 AM, Greg Haerr wrote:
>> I am using the latest source from the git repository and
>> I am linked with the most recent Debian Squeeze stable
>> release of libvncserver-dev 0.9.7+b1.
>>
>> This used to work fine, but I had to upgrade to the latest
>> git to support UTF-8 and now the VNC is broken.
>>
>> Any thoughts where to look, libvnc or drivers/vncserver.c?
>>
>> Anyone have this working?
>>
>> I thought I could pull in the latest libvncserver source
>> (0.9.9) but I see a lot of "Fixme's" and commented out
>> code in drivers/vncserver.c so I suspect this is a Nano-X
>> issue.
> Pete - I had to comment out support for VNC server when porting
> the 0.93 blit code.  The old code in vncserver.c needs to be
> changed to call the new-style blit routines in order to make
> this work.  I didn't have a copy of libvncserver that I could compile
> and link nano-X with without errors.  If you could get something
> at least compiling and linking, I can help getting the blits re-wired.
>
> The blit routines are defined in device.h:: struct SCREENDEVICE.  Which
> one to call will depend on your hardware pixel format and the source
> pixel format.
>
> Regards,
>
> Greg

Sorry for the extremely long pause here. I was side tracked to another
project for a couple months.

Anyway, here are the details of my build:

My target is a Marvell PXA320 (armv5tel) running Debian Squeeze. I am
building natively with GCC 4.4.5.

I am using the following source (diff for microwin is attached):

micrown (Nano-X)
nxlib latest git source
LibVNCServer-0.9.9
freetype-2.4.8

I have diff files available, however my first attempt to send this
email was rejected as exceeding 3K bytes, so I am resending without
them. The diffs contain changes to get VNC to link properly, but also
some customization for my application (paths, no VNC passwd, version
timestamp, UTF-8 support and debug messages)

VNC is connecting and mostly working. The issue I have is small screen
image changes do not get updated. The only way to get those changes is
to wait for a large change or hit the refresh button on the VNC client.

Any guidance here is appreciated. I am willing to do the grunt work, but
don't have an idea where to start.

Thanks much,

Pete Klemm