nanogui: nano-x porting and GUI libraries

Subject: Re: [nanogui] nano-x porting and GUI libraries
From: "Georg Potthast" ####@####.####
Date: 6 Mar 2013 17:03:34 -0000

Hi Laura,

as you know I worked on a MinGW version of Nano-X based on the Allegro
graphics library. I had to stop in the middle and work on other projects
though. So far I could not continue yet. I doubt if there is any need for
Nano-X on MinGW.

MinGW can provide XWindows support already so I think using a limited
XWindows like Nano-X instead of XWindows is of little value here. Most
programmers will have to use a GUI which is based on XWindows like FLTK
anyway and that has been ported to Windows already without Nano-X/NXlib.

Nano-X is an alternative to XWindows to be used with embedded systems. It
only needs a frame buffer on Linux systems. Running Nano-X on Wayland would
add a code base without making Nano-X any different for the user.

As with SDL I have made no tests yet. It says on the Microwindows website
that SDL 1.2.4a will run with Nano-X and provides a link to download that
version of SDL. Whether the current version of SDL will run on Nano-X/NXlib
instead of XWindows remains to be tested I guess. Probably NXlib would have
to be extended for that. Also the audio part of SDL cannot be handled by
Nano-X.

Georg