nanogui: WebKit based browser for Nano-X

Subject: Re: [nanogui] WebKit based browser for Nano-X
From: "Georg Potthast" ####@####.####
Date: 19 Dec 2014 18:56:52 -0000

Hi Vidar,

porting such a large library is not simple. However, it may not be that complicated as it seems at first glance. As you know there are already several ports of WebKit to Amiga based on Origyn which is based on WebKit. Also Laura managed to port it to MinGW.

My port uses the Skia graphics library, but it could also be reconfigured to use Cairo. So Aros would need to support one of these. Then my port uses Curl for downloading the web pages. This can be reconfigured to libsoup if required.

I did a search on the code base and there was no "fork()" command in it which did surprise me. I guess threads are handled within Curl using the multi interface. A browser typically opens several threads to download the web page and its images etc. in parallel but you can ask Curl to do that for you internally.

WebKit, at least my port, does not need a GUI, it makes Skia or Cairo pass a "canvas" showing the web page to the browser application. Then the application can make query calls whether the cursor is on a link, whether a file download URL was selected etc.

I did not write a porting guide since I thought nobody would be interested to read it anyways. But I am willing to help if required. As long as I do not have to write code for that other project.

Georg