nanogui: WebKit based browser for Nano-X

Subject: Re: [nanogui] WebKit based browser for Nano-X
From: LM ####@####.####
Date: 22 Dec 2014 12:52:52 -0000

On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 Vidar wrote:
> How portable is the underlying webkit library? E.g. does it rely on things like pthreads, or other more "complicated" POSIX/Linux-isms? Reason I'm asking is that I'm also (very occasionally) hacking on AROS - an AmigaOS reimplementation, and it might be interesting to try to port it. (pthreads and fork() tends to be the biggest obstacles).

Would be great to get wkccc working on a variety of platforms including AROS.

It does pull in pthreads for the Windows build and needs sockets
support and libraries like icu and libxslt.  As Georg mentioned, no
fork support needed.  Windows doesn't have any real support for fork
either unless you use something like Cygwin.  From what I remember
reading, Google and Apple had differing opinions on where the majority
of threading should take place.  One group wanted the threading
basically at the browser level for backward compatibility and the
other wanted it integrated more into the webkit library.  wkccc on
Windows also needed glew which probably means there are some OpenGL
requirements.  I don't believe it needed glew on the Linux versions,
but I think it still may have used OpenGL.  Does AROS have OpenGL
support?  I've been doing some work on using PicoGL (which needs a
library like SDL as a base) instead of OpenGL, but so far, I've only
got this working with some OpenGL demos and most recently with Emilia
Pinball.

Is there a port of pthreads to AROS?  I'm curious because I'm working
on some C11 thread support so I can use that on Windows.  Was hoping
at some point to expand it and use it as the base for some pthreads
support for a port to Windows of the newlib C library.  It's still
very much a work in progress, but 'm wondering how portable my C11
thread code would be.  I've tried to use mostly semaphores and some
atomic operations as the foundation for it.  Still a work in progress
and hasn't been tested yet though.  One of my goals is to make it as
portable as possible.

Sincerely,
Laura
http://www.distasis.com/cpp