nanogui: Re: nanoGui development

Subject: RE: nanoGui development
From: Greg Haerr ####@####.####
Date: 4 May 1999 17:29:06 -0000

Alistair -
	I've got the nanoGui project moved up quite a bit.  It now runs the sample
programs pretty well.  As Alan mentioned, I'll be checking all this stuff in shortly.
I've also made a makefile option that allows the graphics application to be linked
directly with the nanoX server.  This means that you won't have to implement any sockets
in the ELKS kernel for initial testing.  Following are the things that someone will have
to worry about (I'm planning on getting to these, but I still can't develop on ELKS,
and cross-development is a pain...  BTW I have the bcc tools source hacked to
self-host now, for instance it will compile the ANSI C Minix libc source on Minix...)
Anyway, the following needs to be addressed for nanoGui on ELKS:

	o A real mode VGA driver (we can use int 10h for this, pretty easy, then
hack bogl for 16-bit ints)  BTW this driver also needs to switch between text
and graphics modes, rather than using consoles.  I recommend that all the graphics/text
stuff remain in nanoGui for ELKS for the time being, we don't need a bigger kernel for this.
Taking this approach means that ELKS can leave out all graphics stuff from the kernel
for the time being.

	o A mouse driver (this is more of a pain, we could still leave it out of the kernel)

	o Kernel select() support for mouse and keyboard fd's (note that we require
tty ~ICANON raw mode.  (^C signal handling would be nice to abort the server on bad errors)

	o Nanogui uses ANSI prototypes that won't compile with bcc, unless someone
wants my ansi modifications,  I'm thinking of releasing it myself.

	Currently, NanoGui implements a decent subset of low-level X primitives, although
they're renamed.  Window creation, GC manipulation and text routines work.  We still
need some better low-level drawcode support.  For instance, XOR drawing isn't done yet.

	My plan is to take nanoGui and abstract the mouse, keyboard and screen
interfaces into fully defined interfaces within structures, that would allow nanoGui to become
completely portable with anyone able to roll their own drivers.  I should have this work done
in a couple of days.  I've got to hook up my linux box to the net to use the CVS checkin,
hopefully that'l get done tonight or tomorrow.

Greg