nanogui: Thread: Toolkits

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Toolkits
From: klindsay ####@####.####
Date: 11 May 1999 17:02:09 -0000

  Still have to catch up on all the nano-x/bogl code etc, but for anyone
starting a separate toolkit, let it be known that I wrote a Slang Tool Kit
just recently with multiple windows, movable/resizable windows, full gpm
mouse support etc. Not sure how useful my knowledge will be as I've never
done any X tool kit research, but I did write it from scratch.  It will be
released soon along with a huge project which should be on slashdot
hopefully soon. [foreshadow plug...] :)

  I'm about to get my production box setup at home anyday know then I can
start devoting my nights to nano-x where possible...

-------------------------
Kevin Lindsay
Stormix Technologies Inc.

00 75 CB D4 20 AB 02 8B  2E 22 C0 E7 F3 9A 2D 72

>   Still have to catch up on all the nano-x/bogl code etc, but for anyone
> starting a separate toolkit, let it be known that I wrote a Slang Tool Kit
> just recently with multiple windows, movable/resizable windows, full gpm
> mouse support etc. Not sure how useful my knowledge will be as I've never

What's Slang?

> done any X tool kit research, but I did write it from scratch.  It will be
> released soon along with a huge project which should be on slashdot
> hopefully soon. [foreshadow plug...] :)

I wouldn't count on it. They ignored my request to post an article
announcing LinuxHacker (I thought it would at least get a "quickie"
mention, but it appears that they just don't like competition). Linux
Today is pretty good though, they usually post articles you send to them
within a couple of hours at most. What's the huge project, or can't you
say yet?

>   I'm about to get my production box setup at home anyday know then I can
> start devoting my nights to nano-x where possible...

Great :)

--------------- Linux- the choice of a GNU generation. --------------
: Alex Holden (M1CJD)- Caver, Programmer, Land Rover nut, Radio Ham :
-------------------- http://www.linuxhacker.org/ --------------------

> >   Still have to catch up on all the nano-x/bogl code etc, but for anyone
> > starting a separate toolkit, let it be known that I wrote a Slang Tool Kit
> > just recently with multiple windows, movable/resizable windows, full gpm
> > mouse support etc. Not sure how useful my knowledge will be as I've never
>
> What's Slang?

  Slang is a good alternative to ncurses.

ftp://space.mit.edu/pub/davis/slang/

  I recommend it over ncurses anyday.  Jed is made with slang.

> > done any X tool kit research, but I did write it from scratch.  It will be
> > released soon along with a huge project which should be on slashdot
> > hopefully soon. [foreshadow plug...] :)
>
> I wouldn't count on it. They ignored my request to post an article
> announcing LinuxHacker (I thought it would at least get a "quickie"
> mention, but it appears that they just don't like competition). Linux
> Today is pretty good though, they usually post articles you send to them
> within a couple of hours at most. What's the huge project, or can't you
> say yet?

  Well I assume they receive many many articles, but ours is a pretty big.
Actually to leak it a bit, it is YALD (Yet Another Linux Distribution) but
one that is commercially built based on Debian. But unlike Caldera, we
will release our software GPL'd.  We created a system similar to COAS, but
much better IMHO of course. Its modular in design and works remotely and
with encryption.  Any programmer can make X and Console interfaces using
the same code, and without learning a toolkit such as GTK or CTK (Console
Toolkit) which is what I developed. :) But to keep this on topic, we are
very interested in using Nano-x for our installation once it gets fairly
usable.  Currently we have an X based install.

Kevin Lindsay
Stormix Technologies Inc.

00 75 CB D4 20 AB 02 8B  2E 22 C0 E7 F3 9A 2D 72

Cool.  Could you please send me the url to this source?

Greg