nanogui: Thread: NanoGUI and X ??

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: NanoGUI and X ??
From: Alain Toussaint ####@####.####
Date: 10 May 1999 18:55:38 -0000

Hello,
	i'm writing because i used to run linux on my previous computer and
would like to do it at present but the thing holding me back is that i tried
to run X,the thing i tried is to use a pre-release of the debian's X packages,
it didn't fly at all,then i compiled a kernel with vesa support with the intent
to try both the xggi server and the fb server,i used binary version of these
X server,everything else was compiled (kernel which is rather easy and the
various ggi lib needed),i also tried to compile the latest xggi server,it
didn't fly,in the end,i tried metro-x but it didn't fly too,it didn't
recognized my card and though i had a 13 inch monitor (it's 14 inch in fact
and 320x200 isn't my cup of tea),the question i have is does NanoGUI (or
NanoX) support X windows,i'm rather tired of running NT and i would love to
get back on linux.

p.s.my graphic chipset is an SiS 6326 AGP 8 MB,run beautifully with the
kernel's vesa driver at 800x600.

Thanks in advance.

Alain Toussaint
On Mon, 10 May 1999, Alain Toussaint wrote:
> 	i'm writing because i used to run linux on my previous computer and
> would like to do it at present but the thing holding me back is that i tried
> to run X,the thing i tried is to use a pre-release of the debian's X packages,
> it didn't fly at all,then i compiled a kernel with vesa support with the intent
> to try both the xggi server and the fb server,i used binary version of these
> X server,everything else was compiled (kernel which is rather easy and the
> various ggi lib needed),i also tried to compile the latest xggi server,it
> didn't fly,in the end,i tried metro-x but it didn't fly too,it didn't
> recognized my card and though i had a 13 inch monitor (it's 14 inch in fact
> and 320x200 isn't my cup of tea),the question i have is does NanoGUI (or
> NanoX) support X windows,i'm rather tired of running NT and i would love to
> get back on linux.

Nano-X isn't the same thing as X, it's something much, much smaller,
intended for palmtops and embedded systems. It probably isn't what you
want.

> p.s.my graphic chipset is an SiS 6326 AGP 8 MB,run beautifully with the
> kernel's vesa driver at 800x600.

If you've got the framebuffer working in VT mode, it shouldn't be too
difficult to get the framebuffer X server going (it works well; I've used
it myself in the past). I don't know about xggi or metro-X.

--------------- Linux- the choice of a GNU generation. --------------
: Alex Holden (M1CJD)- Caver, Programmer, Land Rover nut, Radio Ham :