nanogui: Thread: some nano-X things

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: some nano-X things
From: "Alexander Peuchert" ####@####.####
Date: 16 Jun 1999 09:28:05 -0000

Hi,

while trying to use nano-X, I stumbled over som things:

- again, there is no bitblit function. What do I have to do to draw a
GR_BITMAP into a button ?

- I only managed to make nano-X run on real X by quickly hacking a GGI
driver. ( very quick and
dirty ...) While using nano-X, the server segfaults very often and many
socket read errors occur. This
could be due to me lazy GGI driver, or is this the alpha-behaviour of
nano-X? It segfaults on
window-unmap /-resize /-move ... so, toolkit development isn't going on
very fast.

- another thing is that the mouse cursor doesn't redraw it's underlying
area. So, the mouse leaves a
trace of black squares ... is this the intention?

- alex

On Wed, Jun 16, 1999 at 11:21:19AM +0100, Alexander Peuchert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> while trying to use nano-X, I stumbled over som things:
>
> - again, there is no bitblit function. What do I have to do to draw a
> GR_BITMAP into a button ?

[speaking out of the list, since I haven't really got nano-X
running yet]

IIRC, there are no bitmaps you can draw on, so there's no need
for it. If you have coded bitmaps, you're welcome to code bitblt
:-)

[Also, of less importance, IIRC it's bitblt and not bitblit -
blt for "block transfer"]

> - I only managed to make nano-X run on real X by quickly
> hacking a GGI driver. ( very quick and dirty ...) While using
> nano-X, the server segfaults very often and many socket read
> errors occur. This could be due to me lazy GGI driver, or is
> this the alpha-behaviour of nano-X? It segfaults on
> window-unmap /-resize /-move ... so, toolkit development isn't
> going on very fast.

I think a GGI driver would be a thing to have in this initial
testing/developing/hacking period. This would mean (for me)
being able to hack it, since I can't get framebuffers to work on
either machine I use (Trident board at work, MACH32 at home).

As to your problem... wouldn't GGI on top of svgalib help? Or
GGI on KGI if available for your hardware? (I personally plan to
use GGI/svgalib in the beginning, since I don't want to install
X at home)

[]s,
                                               |alo
                                               +----
                 Resistance is futile.

http://www.webcom.com/lalo      ####@####.####
                 pgp key in the web page

:
: [speaking out of the list, since I haven't really got nano-X
: running yet]
:
: IIRC, there are no bitmaps you can draw on, so there's no need
: for it. If you have coded bitmaps, you're welcome to code bitblt
: :-)

	This is incorrect.  Bitblt is a device-dependent function to
move bits from one area to another.  The nano-X GrBitmap() function is
used to draw monochrome bitmaps in nano-X.  It takes a window id,
graphics context, x, y, w, h, and an imagebits ptr.  The imagebits are drawn
using the current gc foreground color, and if UseBackground is set, the background
bits are drawn using the bg color.
	Micro-windows supports 256 color bitmaps with DrawImage().

:
[...]

	My version of nano-X and micro-windows runs on top of
SVGAlib, which runs on all versions of linux.  That's the reason I wrote it.
Any linux user can use and develop with nano-X.  No need for the
ridiculously hard-to-setup framebuffers.  Of course, they're supported too.

Greg

: while trying to use nano-X, I stumbled over som things:
:
: - again, there is no bitblit function. What do I have to do to draw a
: GR_BITMAP into a button ?

	GrBitmap().  See my previous email.

:
: - I only managed to make nano-X run on real X by quickly hacking a GGI
: driver. ( very quick and
: dirty ...) While using nano-X, the server segfaults very often and many
: socket read errors occur. This

	The network socket code is not debugged and has never worked well
in nano-X.  I use only the client/server linked version, with -DGS_NONETWORK=1.

: could be due to me lazy GGI driver, or is this the alpha-behaviour of
: nano-X? It segfaults on
: window-unmap /-resize /-move ... so, toolkit development isn't going on
: very fast.

	You definitely want to use my version 0.6 or greater for toolkit
development.  Previous versions either don't work, or don't have
enough engine support for the things you want.

:
: - another thing is that the mouse cursor doesn't redraw it's underlying
: area. So, the mouse leaves a
: trace of black squares ... is this the intention?

	Definitely not.  What version are you running?

: - alex

> : while trying to use nano-X, I stumbled over som things:
> :
> : - again, there is no bitblit function. What do I have to do to draw a
> : GR_BITMAP into a button ?
>
>         GrBitmap().  See my previous email.
>
> :
> : - I only managed to make nano-X run on real X by quickly hacking a GGI
> : driver. ( very quick and
> : dirty ...) While using nano-X, the server segfaults very often and many
> : socket read errors occur. This
>
>         The network socket code is not debugged and has never worked well
> in nano-X.  I use only the client/server linked version, with -DGS_NONETWORK=1.
>
> : could be due to me lazy GGI driver, or is this the alpha-behaviour of
> : nano-X? It segfaults on
> : window-unmap /-resize /-move ... so, toolkit development isn't going on
> : very fast.
>
>         You definitely want to use my version 0.6 or greater for toolkit
> development.  Previous versions either don't work, or don't have
> enough engine support for the things you want.

can i have a copy of this code please, as i need it for
some stuff - and alex can you mail me a copy of your code
aswell - so i can have a llok whats going on. is it still a plan
to implement a gdk esque thing or iomplementa striahgt wifdget set?

Chris Ross
| Chris Ross - Boris` on efnet, ####@####.#### |
|      Student, C Code Hacker, HTML,  and more...    |
|           * Web server down - Back Soon *          |
`----------------------------------------------------'
From: Alex Holden ####@####.####
Date: 16 Jun 1999 18:56:10 -0000

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, Chris Ross (Boris) wrote:
> some stuff - and alex can you mail me a copy of your code
> aswell - so i can have a llok whats going on. is it still a plan

I'm still really busy at the moment (with work now), plus I don't have a
machine at the flat I'm staying in (Linux on the Geofox isn't really up to
Nano-X work yet and I don't like Epoc), so I have to do it after hours at
work (and I'm working 12 hours a day as it is). I'll try to put something
together tomorrow since you keep insisting, but it's still not finished.

> to implement a gdk esque thing or iomplementa striahgt wifdget set?

Three wierd typos in a row, cool. It looks like there are going to
probably be both a few tiny widget sets and a gdk implementation so you
can run GTK+ apps on the slightly more powerful machines. How the GDK port
is done really is up to whoever does it.

--------------- Linux- the choice of a GNU generation. --------------
: Alex Holden (M1CJD)- Caver, Programmer, Land Rover nut, Radio Ham :
-------------------- http://www.linuxhacker.org/ --------------------

From: Greg Haerr ####@####.####
Date: 16 Jun 1999 19:08:05 -0000

: I'm still really busy at the moment (with work now), plus I don't have a
: machine at the flat I'm staying in (Linux on the Geofox isn't really up to
: Nano-X work yet and I don't like Epoc), so I have to do it after hours at
: work (and I'm working 12 hours a day as it is). I'll try to put something
: together tomorrow since you keep insisting, but it's still not finished.
:

	I'm getting a web site hosted, and will post the micro-windows
code there.  I will also post my versions of nano-X there, since Alex
is quite busy with work, and is working on different things for nano-X.

Greg
From: Alex Holden ####@####.####
Date: 16 Jun 1999 19:30:10 -0000

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, Greg Haerr wrote:
> 	I'm getting a web site hosted, and will post the micro-windows
> code there.  I will also post my versions of nano-X there, since Alex
> is quite busy with work, and is working on different things for nano-X.

As I've said several times, send the changes to me and I'll include them.
I haven't turned down any of the versions you've sent to me so far. I
think I've been quite reasonable about this really. I don't mind you
having a seperate patch against the main version of the code if you don't
want to use the CVS, but I'd much rather you didn't split the development
by putting your own code up as a seperate version to my Nano-X tree.

From: "Chris Ross (Boris)" ####@####.####
Date: 17 Jun 1999 17:20:51 -0000

ok thanks for the code, got it compiled and installed - without
the networking compiled it, one slight little hitch none of the
examples work - what am i doing wrong. (btw i got the nano-X
brinary running - which used the lm thing compiled in)

i can't really start with the rgdk (reduced gdk) unitl i can
some custom little apps working to get my bearings with the
api

cheers