nanogui: Thread: widget set projects (Re: some nano-X things)

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: widget set projects (Re: some nano-X things)
From: Lalo Martins ####@####.####
Date: 16 Jun 1999 20:13:13 -0000

On Wed, Jun 16, 1999 at 07:56:09PM +0100, Alex Holden wrote:

> > to implement a gdk esque thing or iomplementa striahgt wifdget set?
>
> Three wierd typos in a row, cool. It looks like there are going to
> probably be both a few tiny widget sets and a gdk implementation so you
> can run GTK+ apps on the slightly more powerful machines. How the GDK port
> is done really is up to whoever does it.

AFAICS:

* nanokit - smallest, fresh-from-zero -
  "Alexander Peuchert" ####@####.####

* micro-windows - GDI (windows)-like for users and programmers -
  Greg Haerr ####@####.####

* "NDK" - reimplementation (or port) of GDK, to run GTK+ -
  nobody yet (I could coordinate this, I think)

I also think a lot of people is working on nano-x
simultaneously. Don't we need some coordination between these
efforts? CVS would be ideal (at least one of these doesn't have
a place to put code for download). I for one would really
appreciate the driver to run stuff on top of svgalib.

Aaaand... the "package" is labeled "nano-x". Isn't nano-x one of
the possible uses? Isn't there a better name?

[]s,
                                               |alo
                                               +----
                 Resistance is futile.

http://www.webcom.com/lalo      ####@####.####
                 pgp key in the web page

> On Wed, Jun 16, 1999 at 07:56:09PM +0100, Alex Holden wrote:
> >
> > > to implement a gdk esque thing or iomplementa striahgt wifdget set?
> >
> > Three wierd typos in a row, cool. It looks like there are going to
> > probably be both a few tiny widget sets and a gdk implementation so you
> > can run GTK+ apps on the slightly more powerful machines. How the GDK port
> > is done really is up to whoever does it.
>
> AFAICS:
>
> * nanokit - smallest, fresh-from-zero -
>   "Alexander Peuchert" ####@####.####
>
> * micro-windows - GDI (windows)-like for users and programmers -
>   Greg Haerr ####@####.####
>
> * "NDK" - reimplementation (or port) of GDK, to run GTK+ -
>   nobody yet (I could coordinate this, I think)

i was planing on sitting downand doing this thendk bit that is,
as i have a tad biyt more time now my exams are out of the way,

Chris Ross
| Chris Ross - Boris` on efnet, ####@####.#### |
|      Student, C Code Hacker, HTML,  and more...    |
|           * Web server down - Back Soon *          |
`----------------------------------------------------'
From: Greg Haerr ####@####.####
Date: 16 Jun 1999 21:24:29 -0000

	There's only been two contributors to www.linuxhacker.org/nanogui.

 Don't we need some coordination between these
: efforts? CVS would be ideal (at least one of these doesn't have
: a place to put code for download). I for one would really
: appreciate the driver to run stuff on top of svgalib.

	I have this completed.  Let me know if you want it.

:
: Aaaand... the "package" is labeled "nano-x". Isn't nano-x one of
: the possible uses? Isn't there a better name?
:

	The package at linuxhacker only implements mini-X api.

Greg
From: Lalo Martins ####@####.####
Date: 16 Jun 1999 21:42:19 -0000

On Wed, Jun 16, 1999 at 03:13:39PM -0600, Greg Haerr wrote:
> : I also think a lot of people is working on nano-x
> : simultaneously.
>
> 	There's only been two contributors to www.linuxhacker.org/nanogui.

I'm thinking about the code. I heard of (I believe) two
implementations over GGI and yours over svgalib.

> : I for one would really
> : appreciate the driver to run stuff on top of svgalib.
>
> 	I have this completed.  Let me know if you want it.

Yes, I absolutely need this to help the development, unless
someone writes a framebuffer driver for one of my boards :-)

> : Aaaand... the "package" is labeled "nano-x". Isn't nano-x one of
> : the possible uses? Isn't there a better name?
>
> 	The package at linuxhacker only implements mini-X api.

It implements the basics all others use, right? If this is so,
perhaps these "basics" could be split into some other package?

[]s,
                                               |alo
                                               +----
                 Resistance is futile.

http://www.webcom.com/lalo      ####@####.####
                 pgp key in the web page

From: Lalo Martins ####@####.####
Date: 16 Jun 1999 21:44:40 -0000

On Wed, Jun 16, 1999 at 10:16:11PM +0100, Chris Ross (Boris) wrote:
> Lalo Martins wrote:
> >
> > * "NDK" - reimplementation (or port) of GDK, to run GTK+ -
> >   nobody yet (I could coordinate this, I think)
> >
> i was planing on sitting downand doing this thendk bit that is,
> as i have a tad biyt more time now my exams are out of the way,

Great. I'm willing to help/test/use. Perhaps I will take some
time to choose the best GTK+ apps to test the stuff in the
initial stage (I believe these will be the simplest ones I can
find).

[]s,
                                               |alo
                                               +----
                 Resistance is futile.

http://www.webcom.com/lalo      ####@####.####
                 pgp key in the web page

From: Alex Holden ####@####.####
Date: 17 Jun 1999 08:03:17 -0000

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, Greg Haerr wrote:
> 	There's only been two contributors to www.linuxhacker.org/nanogui.

No, about five, six if you include David Bell, who wrote all of mini-X,
which is what Nano-X is a development of.

> : appreciate the driver to run stuff on top of svgalib.
> 	I have this completed.  Let me know if you want it.

Yes, I would certainly appreciate it if you sent me your changes for me to
include.

--------------- Linux- the choice of a GNU generation. --------------
: Alex Holden (M1CJD)- Caver, Programmer, Land Rover nut, Radio Ham :