nanogui: VNC Server for Nanox

Subject: Re: [nanogui] VNC Server for Nanox
From: yan seiner ####@####.####
Date: 2 Feb 2006 19:45:57 +0000

Pete Klemm wrote:

> I now have a TightVNC Client on my PC with the nano-X remote
> frame buffer and I can click the mouse in that window and see that
> the mouse event is recognized on the remote system, but I just get
> a black box in the TightVNC window.
>
> Any thoughts and/or suggestions?

Oh, well, yes...

AFAICT, VNC needs either X running to provide a virtual framebuffer, or
a physical framebuffer....

I tried using the kernel virtual framebuffer, but basically it is just a
graphical bitbucket.

If you're a framebuffer hacker I am told it is not difficult to
implement a full virtual framebuffer in the kernel... But I looked at
the code and it was not at all obvious to me what was going on.
Briefly, you have to allocate some real memory, and then set up the
frambuffer functions accordingly.  We ended up not using nano-X, so I
dropped the whole thing.

> Also, is it possible to make the 320x240 window display larger
> using the scaling? I tried 2 to 1 but the window stayed the same
> size and 1 to 2 made it half the size.

Not sure what you mean.  I don't think VNC allows you to zoom; I could
be wrong....

--Yan