nanogui: Question about VNC server and framebuffer using FB_VISUAL_PSEUDOCOLOR

Subject: Question about VNC server and framebuffer using FB_VISUAL_PSEUDOCOLOR
From: Pete Klemm ####@####.####
Date: 13 Feb 2006 17:00:27 +0000

I am working on getting the VNC server in Nano-X to work on an ADS
Graphics Client Xscale (GCX) board. I am using Microwindows 0.91 with the
VNC Server option enabled. I can get a remote VNC client to connect and
show the display but I have a problem with the color. I can get the color
to work for the remote VNC client by forcing the the config attribute
MWPF_TRUECOLOR332 and not using the 'visual' attribute from the
framebuffer but forcing it to be FB_VISUAL_TRUECOLOR but then the
local LCD has bad color.

What I have determined is the local LCD framebuffer has a visual
property of FB_VISUAL_PSEUDOCOLOR and the VNC server does
not appear to support this. So I am attempting to implement a translation
function in the VNC server.

By looking at the kernel code I begin to believe that the GCX uses a
multiplexor scheme where by each color can have 256 levels that
are pulsing the LCD display. Therefore the pseudo color.

My question is does anyone know of a good source of information on how
the method used on the GCX framebuffer drive works?

Better yet, has anyone successfully implemented a VNC server on the GCX
or a board that uses the FB_VISUAL_PSEUDOCOLOR for the
framebuffer visual attribute?

Thanks,
Pete