nanogui: pcf fonts

Subject: pcf fonts
From: Michael Bogaerts ####@####.####
Date: 3 Mar 2006 07:57:59 +0000

Hi,

I had the same problem here, but i still don't have a solution for it.

although i'm not sure if its the font tools or the nanox. becuz i
converted both a courier and a courier bold ttf to bdf and then to pcf

the normal cour worked fine but when using the bold variant the nanox
segfaults.

what i did see is that when opening the font in a font viewer app the
size does not match the size supplied while generatintg the font
maybe that has something to do with it.

-=Michael=-

To: "tj" ####@####.#### ####@####.####
Subject: Re: [nanogui] Font problems

: But, I have beeen playing around and I try to load a .bdf and get:
: fnt_createfont: /home/dufus/nano-X-src/testFontSize/luxisb.bdf,1 not found

Nano-X can't load .bdf fonts, they need to be converted to
.fnt or .pcf format.

: Also what purpose does the GR_LOGFONT serve? can .pcf fonts be resized,
etc.

No, .pcf files are fixed bitmap images.  GR_LOGFONT allows
programmatic selection of fonts by requesting attributes, rather
than knowing a specific font filename.

:
: I have also had a problem with .pcf file created from ttf file
: segfaulting nano-X.
:
: Like, I down load a TTF file and run it through tt2bdf and the resultant
: .bdf through bdftopcf. But then when I load the pcf file, gip'ed or not,
: nano-X segfaults.

I'm not sure why this is yet, perhaps the .pcf font conversions
aren't working properly.  I'm not aware of any .pcf file from
the X11 distribution that won't work, however.  I assume
also you're running the CVS code, since some .pcf fixes
were added.

It would be nice to know whether these core dumps occur
on a desktop intel system, or instead only on your target.
We had some endian issues previously.

:
: I have discovered on thing though. Trying to under stand the X system's
: font system is enough to drive anybody back to the MS Windows world.

Agreed.