nanogui: nano-X with 8 bit greyscale

Subject: nano-X with 8 bit greyscale
From: James Steward ####@####.####
Date: 1 Apr 2006 22:21:22 +0100

Hi folks,

I'm rather fresh to nano-X and GUI programming, so please excuse my
ignorance.  I will learn given half a chance though!

We have an ARM based custom board that has its LCD controller connected
4bits to a 320x240 mono lcd, setup for 8 bit palette.

If I manually set all 256 entries in the palette and cat a tux 8bit
greyscale image to /dev/fb0 it looks fine.

When I start nano-X I see it saves and sets the first 16 color map
entries, not the entire 256 entry color map.  Why is this?  Shouldn't it
use the whole palette?  Did I compile it with wrong options?

If I run wish and add a button with text then pack the button, the wish
window is there, but the button has no text.  I wonder if I need to
specify colours for tk to use?  Or is this more likely because nano-X
isn't using the whole palette?

Will nano-X run over a network as X11 does?  Will it be happy with a tcp
connection?  If so, what do I need to tell it (command line or config
file??) to allow connections forwarded via ssh?

I did google for some of this stuff but turned up very little.

Any help appreciated.

Regards,
James.