nanogui: nano-X with 8 bit greyscale

Subject: Re: nano-X with 8 bit greyscale
From: "Jordan Crouse" ####@####.####
Date: 3 Apr 2006 15:34:35 +0100

On 02/04/06 07:34 +1000, James Steward wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm rather fresh to nano-X and GUI programming, so please excuse my
> ignorance.  I will learn given half a chance though!
>
> We have an ARM based custom board that has its LCD controller connected
> 4bits to a 320x240 mono lcd, setup for 8 bit palette.
>
> If I manually set all 256 entries in the palette and cat a tux 8bit
> greyscale image to /dev/fb0 it looks fine.
>
> When I start nano-X I see it saves and sets the first 16 color map
> entries, not the entire 256 entry color map.  Why is this?  Shouldn't it
> use the whole palette?  Did I compile it with wrong options?

If you are using the framebuffer, everything Nano-X knows comes from
the kernel framebuffer driver.  It sounds like your driver is reporting that
it is in 4 bit mode.  Run 'fbset' to make sure that the framebuffer driver
is reporting all the information correctly (width, height, bit depth, etc,
etc).

> Will nano-X run over a network as X11 does?  Will it be happy with a tcp
> connection?  If so, what do I need to tell it (command line or config
> file??) to allow connections forwarded via ssh?

Nano-X will not run over a network out of the box, but there are patches
available that will enable that for you.  Where, I can't remember, but
I'm sure somebody else on the list will point you in the right direction.

Jordan
--
Jordan Crouse
Senior Linux Engineer