nanogui: nano-X with 8 bit greyscale

Subject: Re: [nanogui] Re: nano-X with 8 bit greyscale
From: James Steward ####@####.####
Date: 4 Apr 2006 00:01:28 +0100

On Mon, 2006-04-03 at 09:06 -0600, Jordan Crouse wrote:
> On 02/04/06 07:34 +1000, James Steward wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I'm rather fresh to nano-X and GUI programming, so please excuse my
> > ignorance.  I will learn given half a chance though!
> >
> > We have an ARM based custom board that has its LCD controller connected
> > 4bits to a 320x240 mono lcd, setup for 8 bit palette.
> >
> > If I manually set all 256 entries in the palette and cat a tux 8bit
> > greyscale image to /dev/fb0 it looks fine.
> >
> > When I start nano-X I see it saves and sets the first 16 color map
> > entries, not the entire 256 entry color map.  Why is this?  Shouldn't it
> > use the whole palette?  Did I compile it with wrong options?
>
> If you are using the framebuffer, everything Nano-X knows comes from
> the kernel framebuffer driver.  It sounds like your driver is reporting that
> it is in 4 bit mode.  Run 'fbset' to make sure that the framebuffer driver
> is reporting all the information correctly (width, height, bit depth, etc,
> etc).

Hi Jordan,

I grabbed Debians ARM version of fbset and ran it.

mode "320x240-20"
    # D: 1.555 MHz, H: 4.815 kHz, V: 19.652 Hz
    geometry 320 240 320 240 8
    timings 643023 1 1 1 1 1 3
    hsync high
    vsync high
    rgba 8/0,8/0,8/0,0/0
endmode

Getting further frame buffer information
Frame buffer device information:
    Name        : PXA
    Address     : 0xa70a1000
    Size        : 76800
    Type        : PACKED PIXELS
    Visual      : PSEUDOCOLOR
    XPanStep    : 0
    YPanStep    : 0
    YWrapStep   : 0
    LineLength  : 320
    Accelerator : No

This looks fine to me.  Am I missing something?

Actually I told a fib.  Upon further investigation, it does seem to set
all 256 entries, but then overwrites the first 16!

Does nano-X set the palette differently if the greyscale flag is set in
the frame buffer device?

I've tried running wish.  I get a wish window, add a button with text,
but the text isn't visible I guess because the color map is a bit NQR.

> > Will nano-X run over a network as X11 does?  Will it be happy with a tcp
> > connection?  If so, what do I need to tell it (command line or config
> > file??) to allow connections forwarded via ssh?
>
> Nano-X will not run over a network out of the box, but there are patches
> available that will enable that for you.  Where, I can't remember, but
> I'm sure somebody else on the list will point you in the right direction.

Thanks!  I'll look.

Regards,
James.