nanogui: API Advice

Subject: API Advice
From: Wayne ####@####.####
Date: 16 Nov 2007 20:11:55 +0000

I was wondering if I could get some advice/opinions.

First some background. About 4 years ago I wrote a simple window based
graphics library for our embedded system. We now want to do some things
that the library does not support. I have already written a demo
application using the micro windows and the Win32 API. The demo still
uses our window library for most stuff and switches to the micro-window
library only for the window that includes the new features. I am not
starting the task of switching everything over to using micro-windows. I
have 3 options:

A.) Run our current window library on top of the micro window drawing
engine and add some API's to get to the new functionality we get with
the new graphics engine.

B.) Use the Win32 API and the new graphics engine.

C.) Use the nano-X API and the new graphics engine.

I have done some preliminary investigation into the 3 choices. I have a
pretty good understanding of option A. I have a good understanding of B
since I have already implemented some code using the Win32 version of
the API. I also have Win32 driver and application programming
experience. I have not really done any X programming.

Can someone help me understand the advantages and disadvantages of the
Win32 API vs. the nano-X api?

Also, the display that we use is not directly connected to the processor
bus. Instead we use a LVDS connection from the CPU to the graphics
controller and a high speed serial link from the graphics controller to
the CPU. Instead of draw to the display we draw to an frame buffer in
RAM and then copy it to the graphics RAM. One of the problems I face
using the Win32 API is figuring out the right time to copy the display
buffer to the display.

Does anyone have any hints on how to figure out when the drawing is done?