nanogui: Can Nano-X display on remote X-term

Subject: Re: [nanogui] Can Nano-X display on remote X-term
From: Luca Santini ####@####.####
Date: 14 Oct 2010 21:22:23 -0000

On 14/10/2010 22:18, Wojtek Skulski wrote:
> Luca:
>
> I apologise if I was not clear. My goal is the following: my new board
> is running ucLinux. It is a VME board. It does not have its own display.
> But it has a gigabit ethernet interface.

> I want to run an app which will
> popup a window on a remote machine, either a regular Linux box or
> Windows. I do not care, whether the remote machine is Linux or Windows.
> Can be either.

AFAIK you can't 'pop up' windows.
You can run a "service" (the server) on your board and connect to it
with a client. The client will run on an arbitrary platform: win,lin,mac...

This is what you see when you try to configure a router:
a web server is running on the router, and you connect to it with your browser (client).

if you want to "view" the X-server running on your board from your pc (and the apps running on it),
you need a VNC server running on youe board, and a VNC viewer (client) running on your pc.

I'm confident this can be done with nano-X, but the display-less server may be a complication;
maybe you'll need some hack to use a portion of ram as "display" and point the server to it.
I hope someone else can help you more than me on this.

In my opinion, the web way is simpler in your case. But maybe i'm wrong, i don't know
what you want to display, and if it is simple to render via HTML.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Network_Computing