nanogui: FreeType 1 support

Subject: Re: [nanogui] FreeType 1 support
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 20 Jun 2011 22:04:29 -0000

: I saw that the freetype 1 driver was deprecated recently.

I deprecated it because I didn't want to keep up two versions
of the freetype driver anymore.  Of course, I didn't realize that
it used a C library feature your system doesn't have!

IIRC, the nano-X FT1 subdriver didn't support caching,
and many applications required that in order to have reasonable
speed.  Also, with the 0.93pre development we've moved
to using the GdConversionBlit method of drawing, for speed.

: That is really bad, because my target Platform doesn't support
: setjmp/longjmp and this
: is a requirement for Freetype 2. Freetype 1 doesn't need this and would
: therefore be
: suitable for my platform, however the old driver is not compatible with
the
: current Font driver model.

Wow.  Perhaps it might be easier to build a setjmp implementation
for your system, or is that not possible due to not having stack
frames emitted from the compiler?

: Did anybody fix the driver so far or could someone fix it or do I need to
do
: this?

It's not been done to my knowledge.  Perhaps you can get the FT2
subdriver to compile using some macros for the changed FT
entry points.  That would definitely be preferable to keeping
multiple whole source files for each FT major version.  We're already
having to deal with multiple incompatible FT minor versions in
the FT2 driver!

If you compile with no caching and use macros to address the one
or two changed structure names in the Face struct, this might
be the way to go.  Let me know what you think.