nanogui: Re: FLTK font question

Subject: Re: [nanogui] FLTK font question
From: "Georg Potthast" ####@####.####
Date: 30 Jun 2011 20:26:48 -0000

Hi Greg,

I am still struggeling with fonts and FLTK 1.3.0. There is still no text
displayed on the screen.

Now I put some additional DPRINTF's into fontlist.c and got this result:

nxTranslateEventMask no handler for event mask (0022c07f): 14
findfont_nowild: requested font: fixed height: (5)
findfont_nowild: searching in font directory: fonts
findfont_nowild: searching in font directory: /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc
findfont_nowild: searching in font directory: /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi
findfont_nowild: searching in font directory:
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont
findfont_nowild: no XLFD
findfont_nowild: searching in font directory:
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-dejavu
findfont_nowild: searching in font directory:
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/openoffice
findfont_nowild: searching in font directory:
/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType
findfont_nowild: no XLFD
findfont_nowild: searching in font directory: /usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1
findfont_nowild: fail

Do you know where the fixed-5 font shall be found and why it is not found? I
would expect that this is one of the compiled-in system files.

The truetype directory I downloaded from your site did have an empty
fonts.dir file and no font.alias file.

So I copied the truetype directory from cygwin which has a populated
fonts.dir (but no fonts.alias) file into /usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont
and /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType but that did not help,
still no text on the screen.

Do I need to compile in PCF fonts to get the fixed font? I get text in the
window title decoration though already, but that is done by NXLIB.

You recommended this in your last post:
>A workaround would be to build an alias for a fixed-size 36 font, which
>would be found with the variable sized XLFD font spec.

How shall I do this? I am not familiar with this. As I wrote above, I
currently need fixed-5 though.

Regards

Georg Potthast