nanogui: VNC with latest Git image of Nano-X

Subject: Re: [nanogui] VNC with latest Git image of Nano-X
From: Greg Haerr ####@####.####
Date: 18 Sep 2012 18:57:07 -0000

> I am using the following source (diff for microwin is attached):
>
> micrown (Nano-X)
> nxlib latest git source
> LibVNCServer-0.9.9
> freetype-2.4.8
>
> The attached diffs contain changes to get VNC to link properly, but also some customization
> for my application (paths, no VNC passwd, version timestamp, UTF-8 support and debug messages)
>
> VNC is connecting and mostly working. The issue I have is small screen image changes
> do not get updated. The only way to get those changes is to wait for a large change or
> hit the refresh button on the VNC client.

I assume you're running the latest (git) microwindows source.
Are you testing this on X11 or a framebuffer device?

If so, the reason that you're likely not getting screen updates is that
the new blit routines don't update automatically, they require a
call to the psd->Update() procedure with the coordinates of the
screen that have been modified.  If you look at some of the routines
in engine/convblit*.c, you'll see how this is used.

Thus, in your driver, after performing the draw code, you'll want to
call psd->Update with the bounding rect of the areas modified.

There is the possibility this is not the issue, but this is definitely required
when using X11 or non-framebuffer due to the new drawing architecture with
backing store. I haven't looked at your changes yet, as I'm still buried at work.