nanogui: support for 16bit / minix2 ?

Subject: Re: [nanogui] support for 16bit / minix2 ?
From: ####@####.####
Date: 17 Jul 2013 16:02:22 -0000

Thanks Greg for your reply,

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 04:34:25PM -0600, Greg Haerr wrote:
> > How much did Nano-X change since then to make the old effort relevant
> > regarding the current code?
>
> The biggest issue was that the code segment was limited to 64k,
> (and data to another 64k), and there were lots of optimizations
> as well as features not added in order to stay within that.
>
> Somewhere along the line I indicated that support would be ended
> for these systems (v0.86 or so?). After that, the architecture itself
> didn't really change, except that we never measured the size of the
> segments nor maintained backwards compatibility with those compilers.
> At some point we started taking advantage of the gcc compiler extensions
> and optimizations.

I see.

> > Best regards and thanks for keeping the small and nice tools
> > like Nano-X alive.
> Let me know if I can help.

Regretfully, I probably will not undertake reviving the development for
16 bits-systems.

(For better or worse, nowadays it would hardly have any practical value)

Otherwise, as I see it, platforms' limitations do not necessarily lead to
limitations in fuctionality, but possibly to a more resource-efficient
design. Having done a lot of production work on 16-bit systems before
the 32-bit era I know they are quite capable.

Thanks for your work on Nano-X.
Rl