nanogui: re:

Subject: RE:
From: Alex Holden ####@####.####
Date: 11 May 1999 22:04:08 -0000

On Tue, 11 May 1999, klindsay wrote:
>   I agree with this as well, you want just a plan blah X server going that
> is very small. The real Nano-X. Having window managers modular will give
> Nano-X Scalability.  Vidar wants to use it on a PDA/Webpad, where I would
> like to use it as a Linux Distribution Install since it will be much
> smaller and faster than X.  So I would like to add at some point a nice
> looking window manager.  Nano-X could become huge! But only if people want
> to add a whole bunch of options to it for customization, but you can still
> make it very small by just using the core.  Perfect for everyone.

That's right, a small but modular core server which lets you plug in
different WMs for different situations. It would be nice to have both WMs
which are scaled down to fit a palmtop's memory availability and screen
size, like EPOC, and ones with all the bells and whistles like
Enlightenment and WindowMaker. I could see people moving away from X
entirely once it becomes stable, providing we have support for GTK+ (and
hence Gnome and Mozilla), and a decent Window Manager; I almost certainly
will myself.

--------------- Linux- the choice of a GNU generation. --------------
: Alex Holden (M1CJD)- Caver, Programmer, Land Rover nut, Radio Ham :