nanogui: NanoX version 0.3 released

Subject: RE: NanoX version 0.3 released
From: Vidar Hokstad ####@####.####
Date: 11 May 1999 23:19:10 -0000

On Tue, 11 May 1999, Greg Haerr wrote:

> > Some of the code for the prototype could be useful for nano-X, though -
> > I'll take a look at it. For instance, I wrote some font handling code that
> > use font files that are a lot smaller than nano-X's (at least as of 0.2,
> > haven't had the time to check out 0.3 yet).
> >
> > Vidar Hokstad ####@####.####
> > Director of R&D, Screen Media AS
>
> Ben stated that he was working on adding font handling code to read in font
> files...  The font code hasn't changed in 0.3.  I would be interested in your comments
> for small font mgmt.  Are you looking at compressed raster font data, or something
> more exciting?

Nah, nothing exciting, really, just staying within the smallest number of
bytes pr. line, instead of 4, but since that's a pretty obvious
improvement to make Ben's probably thought about it if he's fixing the
font code. I also have some code for converting BDF fonts to that format.

I think it should be fairly easy to pack it further without too much of a
performance hit, though... I'll think about it and do some tests.

One issue though:

Consider supporting more than one font pr. file, and mmap()'ing the file
instead of allocating memory for it, and reading it in. For those of us
with tight memory requirements using mmap() would mean that the kernel
can page the font data in and out without any swap space. This holds for
most other things too: the more cases where mmap() can be used over
malloc()'ing some memory and reading in a file, the better it will
generally be for the minimum required memory footprint.

Regards,
Vidar