nanogui: Frame buffer Interface

Subject: RE: Frame buffer Interface
From: Greg Haerr ####@####.####
Date: 3 Mar 2000 17:49:00 -0000

: > A comment on the kbd interface:  in addition to the keycode
: > member, we should also have a scancode member.  Some applications
: > want to see the kbd in scan code mode, others want to see the
: > keystroke.  There should also be a way to put the RTEMS
: > kbd driver to and from scancode/ascii mode, also.
:
:This would apply for a PC platform. I do not know if for embedded
:systems we need that. It is easy to add one extra field to the
:message struct.

If a kbd is present and it has an alt key, it would probably be
needed for embedded systems as well.  Otherwise there's probably
no need for the kbd interface at all.

Of course, we'll want the RTEMS interface the same regardless
of BSP.

:At higher level, how do you see MicroWindows handling Kbd
:changes in mode ( ascii/scancode ) ?
:

Sometime in the future, Microwindows will probably always
run in scancode mode, and convert internally.  This is required
for full Win32 compatibility.  If the OS doesn't support
scancode, then the WM_KEYDOWN/WM_KEYUP
messages will never be generated, and use the (translated)
WM_CHAR messages instead for all kbd input.