nanogui: Re: nanoGui development

Subject: RE: nanoGui development
From: Greg Haerr ####@####.####
Date: 3 May 1999 20:55:36 -0000

Alex,
	Thanks for answering so quickly.  It seems like you've got no
problem with me moving this stuff forward, since you've got other projects and
exams.  I've been looking for just this kind of initial project, since I'm into
"small" systems, guis, compiler/interpreters.

	I'll get all this stuff working, and change a few things so that
the project can be compiled as client/server, as well as a non-network version.  I also
have some ideas on how to better integrate the "screen drivers" (bogl) so that
different bits-per-pixel etc can be supported, and that the screen driver interface
is extremely well defined.

	I got into this because I've been watching the ELKS development work,
and they were wondering whether this work could used for their project.  The answer
is absolutely yes, although some direct real-mode linked in frame-buffer support would
be necessary.  To get ready for that, and the associated possible 16-bit compiles, this
project should use typedefs for the internal types, like colors, and x,y,w,h stuff.  I would
like to typedef all that stuff.  All-in-all, this would allow for nanoGui to become quite
portable.

	On another note, it took me quite a while to figure out the v2.2 framebuffer support,
since I was running v2.0.  It might be a good idea to include some setup info in your
FAQ.  With the low-level interface well implemented, it would also be fairly straight-forward
to include support for vgalib, which would allow older v2.0 linux users to run this.

Greg