nanogui: Licensing

Subject: Re: Licensing
From: Reagen Ward ####@####.####
Date: 12 May 1999 20:25:23 -0000

Warner Losh wrote:

> I have been approached by several firms that wish to use Linux in an
> embedded system, but do not want any changes made to the base Linux to
> be contributed back, nor do they want any of their drivers to be
> released in any form whatsoever, except as part of their package.

Well, as long as their drivers don't require the modification of the
kernel (ie. properly made loadable modules), they'd be fine.

> I have seen companies steal packet drivers, released under the GPL,
> port them and then refuse to release the source under any conditions
> (major violation),

Now we're on one of my favorite subjects to rant wildly (and often
inaccurately) about.

I asked Xerox on several occasions if I could have a copy of the
modifications they made to Linux/PPC for their
printer/copier/fax/scanner/slicer/dicer device, and was refused every
time.  I just wanted to see what they had done (I had no real interest
other than curiousity), but still.  Those boxes use a PPC (I think an
820 or similar) CPU with Linux, and a nice LCD interface to the whole
deal.

Personally, I don't like GNU because the folks at GNU/FSF like to claim
credit for things they didn't do.  Just because it's GPL doesn't mean
it's a GNU product.  For example, the GNU folks tried for over 10 years
to get a decent UNIX-like system (HURD) fully operational.  In the
meantime, Linux and FreeBSD became very popular and stable, and the HURD
is still barely there.  You can even run the Linux kernel under CMU
Mach, the microkernel that the HURD is based on.  So what does RMS do?
Claims that Linux should be called GNU/Linux, 'cause it's mostly
(actually under 10 percent in many cases) GNU.  Sheesh.  But don't get
me started on RMS...

I really liked the idea of making a Linux distro that had as little / no
GNU as possible, with lots more BSD stuff.  The only thing I really see
as missing is a good C compiler.

Reagen