nanogui: Re: nanoGui development

Subject: Re: nanoGui development
From: Alistair Riddoch ####@####.####
Date: 4 May 1999 10:14:15 -0000

Greg Haerr writes:

> 	I got into this because I've been watching the ELKS development work,
> and they were wondering whether this work could used for their project.  The answer
> is absolutely yes, although some direct real-mode linked in frame-buffer support would
> be necessary.  To get ready for that, and the associated possible 16-bit compiles, this
> project should use typedefs for the internal types, like colors, and x,y,w,h stuff.  I would
> like to typedef all that stuff.  All-in-all, this would allow for nanoGui to become quite
> portable.

I have been lurking on this list for the very same reason, and as soon as
I can get nano-gui to work I will have a look at getting it to work under
ELKS in ernest. It will probably initially only work on UNIX sockets as we
are a long way from having a TCP/IP stack, and UNIX sockets are going to be
much simpler to implement. I also suspect that getting hold of a flat
framebuffer in 8086 real mode is a bit unlikely so more porting work is
going to be required there. Unfortunatly getting things to work on ELKS
often involved feature stripping them, which often does not add to
portability.

If you could make the code you have available I would be very interested in
looking at it and testing it out, finding bugs etc.

Al
--
Alistair Riddoch
ELKS kernel developer