nanogui: Support for on-screen keyboard

Subject: Support for on-screen keyboard
From: Vidar Hokstad ####@####.####
Date: 15 May 1999 13:42:29 -0000

To be attractive for use with set-top boxes etc, NanoX will need support
for some sort of on-screen keyboard...

It can be a separate client, as long as we add a command to
generate keypress events. That's the easy part. But we also
need a sensible way of knowing what window to target with the
events, since the mouse pointer will be over the onscreen keyboard,
and we don't want that to receive the events it generates.

My idea so far, is to add another command to set the default target for
client generated keyboard events, and expect widget sets to call
that function whenever some widget is activated (by whatever definition
the widget set has for "activating" a widget, for instance by clicking in
a text entry field).

It wouldn't make sense to go through any efforts to handle typical
keyboard shortcuts, since it wouldn't really be any shortcut anymore on
an on-screen keyboards :-)

Any good suggestions?

Vidar Hokstad ####@####.####
Director of R&D, Screen Media AS