nanogui: Support for on-screen keyboard

Subject: Re: Support for on-screen keyboard
From: Vidar Hokstad ####@####.####
Date: 15 May 1999 14:01:19 -0000

On Sat, 15 May 1999, Alexander Peuchert wrote:

> Shoudn't this go into a toolkit lib? For example, a text-field with
> optional on-screen keyboard. This way, the nano-x can be kept nano.

I don't see any reason why my two suggested commands would cause much
bloat. We're talking about ~20 lines of code here: One function to
generate a keyboard event (which we should have anyway, IMHO) from
a client, and one function to set the default window id to send the
client generated event to, if none was specifically added.

That would make it easy to add on-screen keyboard support to any
widget set by adding _one_ function call to set the default target
wherever the widget set handles activation of a widget type that should
take keyboard input, instead of having to integrate a full on-screen
keyboard application into every toolkit in order to support it.

It would then allow the user or the developer to freely choose any
on-screen keyboard application made available for Nano-X, instead of
being stuck with whatever on-screen keyboard included in the toolkit you
use.

But of course it's easy to provide a define to specify whether those two
commands will be included or not.

Regards,
Vidar