nanogui: Support for on-screen keyboard

Subject: Re: Support for on-screen keyboard
From: Vidar Hokstad ####@####.####
Date: 15 May 1999 17:17:57 -0000

On Sat, 15 May 1999, Alex Holden wrote:

> On Sat, 15 May 1999, Vidar Hokstad wrote:
> > To be attractive for use with set-top boxes etc, NanoX will need support
> > for some sort of on-screen keyboard...
>
> I don't know about set top boxes (don't you use a remote control for
> them?),

You generally use a remote control, but some have on-screen support as
well, so you don't need to have the full IR keyboard at hand to use it.

> but palmtops certainly need this. Have you seen
> http://www.mrl.nyu.edu/perlin/demos/quikwriting.html ? I think it's pretty
> cool, it seems strange at first, but it's not too bad apart from the lack
> of symbols and control keys once you get used to it.

I've seen it. That's one of the reasons I want the on-screen keyboard as a
client, so that it is easy to write support for any type of "keyboard"
you'd like.

> How about a call which sends a key event to the window which was last in
> focus? Or a combination of a call which returns the ID of the last window
> which was in focus and another call which sends a keyboard event to a
> specified window?

For touch screens only, using focus will work, and is indeed better than
what I suggested, since it would work without any support in widget sets.

With a mouse, you'd have to require it to be the last window you clicked a
mouse button in (I haven't looked into what is considered window focus in
Nano-X, does it require a click?), to avoid problems if there are windows
between the one you want to write in and the on-screen keyboard, but that
should be trivial.

Good suggestion. I think this would be easier to do than what I suggested.

Regards,
Vidar