nanogui: Support for on-screen keyboard

Subject: Re: Support for on-screen keyboard
From: Vidar Hokstad ####@####.####
Date: 15 May 1999 19:11:57 -0000

On Sat, 15 May 1999, Alex Holden wrote:

> On Sat, 15 May 1999, Vidar Hokstad wrote:
> > mouse button in (I haven't looked into what is considered window focus in
> > Nano-X, does it require a click?), to avoid problems if there are windows
>
> I think the way it works currently is that when the mouse pointer moves
> over a window, it transfers control to that window, and when the pointer
> moves away from a window it removes control from the window. I think this
> logic would be better off in a window manager of some sort,

I agree, when you consider "focus", as in which window receives events
etc. But for the on-screen keyboard there's other needs: It's important
that we get access to the id of the last window where the user actually
"activated" a widget. That's typically different from giving focus to
a window...

On the other hand, we might just say that if you want to use an on-screen
keyboard, you better choose a focus method that works with in (in effect
"click to focus" or something like that). For those that will be using
touch screens (we will :), the issue is moot anyway, because the only way
to move is to click as well...

> My current thinking is that there should be a minimal
> window manager included by default, and the "no window manager" behaviour
> reserved for people who really really need to save memory (as with the
> "client compiled into the server" behaviour).

Low memory situations aren't the only ones: Devices where you _DON'T_ want
the user to see that it's really a full window system, and where they
aren't allowed to move/resize windows etc.

That's the case for our device. Using a windowing system is a convenience
for development, not something the user will see.

Regards,
Vidar