nanogui: Another API thing

Subject: Re: Another API thing
From: Alexander Peuchert ####@####.####
Date: 16 May 1999 10:01:03 -0000

On Sun, 16 May 1999, Alex Holden wrote:

> On Sun, 16 May 1999, Alexander Peuchert wrote:
> > - support for a simple screen saver.
>
> I suppose it wouldn't be difficult to update a variable every time a
> keyboard or mouse event is generated, check the variable occasionally, and
> if the difference gets over a certain amount, send a screensaver event to
> a client which has requested to be notified about them. This application
> would then just create a window the full size of the screen, do it's
> screensaver bit in it, and get rid of it again when it recieves a keyboard
> or mouse event.
>
> > - support for a display lock mechanism.
>
> The client could simply ignore all keys and mouse events until you enter
> the correct password or whatever, but we would have to provide a way to
> tell the server to send _all_ key events to the client, including the ones
> which would get sent to the window manager to do things like swapping
> between applications.

This could go into the same API. As you mentioned before, it must be
garantied that only the screen lock/saver app recieves key and mouse
events. Furthermore, the window should be always in front. No other app
should be able to place a panel or something in front of it. Maybe by
setting a window hint like WINDOW_ALWAYS_ON_TOP ...

I see it this way:

the two APIs ( for keyboard app and screen locker/saver) are compiled in
if wanted ...

the screen locker API allows ONE client to connect. This client gets
notified when it should take action( after no user action for x mins or on
command, for screen locker). It opens the locker window and waits either
for events or for a password. Then it deletes that window.

-- this thing could be also made linked in, if there is ne client/server
thing... --

> --------------- Linux- the choice of a GNU generation. --------------
> : Alex Holden (M1CJD)- Caver, Programmer, Land Rover nut, Radio Ham :

- alex

Alexander Peuchert
http://www.peuchert.de ( not very interesting yet ;-) )