nanogui: nanogui widget set

Subject: RE: nanogui widget set
From: Greg Haerr ####@####.####
Date: 11 Jun 1999 17:36:30 -0000

On Friday, June 11, 1999 8:43 AM, Sebastien HUET ####@####.#### wrote:
: Hi,
:
: I would like to do / participate at a small widgets set for nanogui.
: The purpose it to do simple Human machine interface... labels, button,
: picture...
: and so on...
:
: I don't want to reinvent the wheel... so if there is somewhere a already
: started project,
: please tell me...

I completed most of the work getting nano-X to support all of the mini-X api.
This includes support for monochrome bitmaps, rectangle draw and fill, line draw,
and rudimentary color support, which uses a fixed hardware palette.  There is
currently no implementation of a window manager, so windows can't be moved
or resized by the user, although all the api's are in place and work.  There is
considerable work required in implementing a window manager, as well
as an enhanced color model to support any pictures > 16 colors.  Support for
multiple fonts is also non-existent.  If you have custom widget implementations
of anything resembling a button, I'll look at it and tell you how much work
nano-X will require.

In the meantime, I've started working on another project, Micro-Windows.
Micro-Windows runs on top of the device-independent draw engine that I developed
for nano-X.  Micro-Windows currently sports a full-blown window manager, including
window captions, close boxes, user-moveable windows, and a 3d look-and-feel.
Micro-Windows supports full-blown 24-bit RGB color support with 256 color palettes.
256 color device-independent bitmaps, in 1, 4 and 8 bpp are implemented.  Conversion
programs for GIF and BMP files is included.  Micro-Windows supports child windows,
which are required for decent widget or custom control creation, in addition to
support for any number of ROM or custom proportional fonts.  MS-Windows font
and BIOS ROM font conversion programs are written.

Micro-Windows is a re-implementation of the win32 api that looks almost exactly
like windows but runs in 50k.  I expect to have custom implementations of
button, radiobox, checkbox, picture, and textboxes in a couple weeks.

: Bye & Regards
:
: Seb
: ---