nanogui: about nanowm

Subject: Re: about nanowm
From: Jordan Crouse ####@####.####
Date: 22 Feb 2001 15:06:32 -0000

Alex Holden wrote:
>As you may know, you can't get
> interrupts in user space so you'll have to poll it even if your hardware
> is physically capable of generating an interrupt on the key press (which
> is one good reason to implement a kernel driver instead).

You should always use kernel drivers when you can.  Not only does the
kernel provide better support
and infrastrucure for handling hardware events, it also maintains
consistancy with the Linux model.

> The problem I see with this is that you want the button press to always go
> to the window manager, but the way the keyboard event currently works is
> that only one window ever gets a particular key event. Arguably it would
> be better to fix this properly rather than trying to work around it
> somehow, though I can't see any particularly "nice" solutions to it. What
> we probably want is some way for a window to say "when you get a key event
> with this combination of key code and modifiers, send it to me regardless
> of where the input focus is". That way applications like the window
> manager can register "hot key" combinations which will work regardless of
> whether another window has the current input focus or not.

Somewhere on this hard drive that I call home is a server function that
allows individual clients to
request that a keystroke trigger an event regardless of focus.  I coded
it up for the Ipaq (since some of the keys
on the Ipaq can really be considered "global" -- like the menu key), but
then other stuff came up and I had to shove that aside.  It was a little
bit kludgy, but it fit well with the microwindows model.  I will track
that down and send it out for comments.

But definately a good idea that needs further attention.