nanogui: On-the-fly changing of display resolution and color depth?

Subject: Re: [nanogui] On-the-fly changing of display resolution and color depth?
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 5 Sep 2001 17:18:16 -0000

: I'm new to MicroWindows and I'm about to port it to MS VC++
: and WDOSX.

Cool.  I'd like to see a VC++ port.

:
: I wonder whether it is possible for a MicroWindows application to
: change the display resolution and color depth on the fly similar to
: the way it's done under Windows with display properties?
: I.e. without restarting the application?
:
: I looked in the code and I guess the answer is no?
:
: But if it's not supported yet, what would be required to add this?
: I guess it would be necessary to copy some state (like the current
: framebuffer contents + something else?) in a memory buffer,
: then changing the resolution, updating perhaps some info structures
: and then copying the state back to the framebuffer (taking into account
: the changed offsets and color depth/pixel value representations).

Changing the resolution would effectively require that the GdOpenDisplay
routine get called again, the root window reinitialized, in-core pixmaps
being thrown out, and then all windows being redrawn.  No need to
save framebuffer contents.  It shouldn't be that hard, the worst part
is probably the off-screen pixmaps.