nanogui: Microwindows on a device without a display?

Subject: Re: [nanogui] Microwindows on a device without a display?
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 2 Oct 2001 00:23:23 -0000

: Say I have a device running ucLinux.  It has no display hardware whatsoever.
: I would like to use Microwindows on it.  Can I tell Microwindows to draw to
: an area of memory, and then use a VNC server of my own design to take allow
: this "display" to be accessed over a network?

Yes.

: Is it as simple as allocating a block of memory and passing a pointer?

Almost.  Basically, you'll hack Microwindows to use the screendev.addr
member to point to previously allocated memory, rather than the actual
framebuffer.  Of course, it will have to be initialized with your new code,
rather than calling the framebuffer ioctl's.  Basically, this is exactly how
offscreen pixmaps are implemented.

Read the architecture guide on the web site for more information on how
Microwindows works.