nanogui: request for font utilities

Subject: Re: request for font utilities
From: Ben Pfaff ####@####.####
Date: 6 May 1999 17:49:08 -0000

Alexander Peuchert ####@####.#### writes:

   On Wed, 5 May 1999, Greg Haerr wrote:

   > Currently, the nanogui project uses a hard-coded C structure for font display.
   > A utility, bdftobogl, written by debian is included to convert X .bdf files to
   > C structures.

   Take a look at the w windowing system ...
   http://www.students.tut.fi/~t150315/

That uses a new font format, .wfnt.  Also, the font conversion utility
that comes with W only supports fixed-width fonts, whereas BOGL uses

What format do we want NanoGUI to read fonts in?  I've been looking at
a few choices:

	* .bdf
	  Advantages: well documented, simple format.
	  Disadvantages: not as compact as some other formats.

	* .pcf
	  Advantages: smaller than .bdf
	  Disadvantages: relatively complicated format, not documented

	* .wfnt
	  Advantages: simple
	  Disadvantages: not a standard format, not documented

I could have a bdf font reader pretty fast if that's what we want.

   > Does anyone have any conversion utilities for the older windows 3.1 .FNT file
   > format to C?  I would like to convert some raster graphics fonts for use with nanogui
   > and not all my fonts are bdf format.

The W readme says that WINE has a fnt2bdf program.  In addition,
there's a ttftobdf program that comes with freetype.
--
"To the engineer, the world is a toy box full of sub-optimized and
 feature-poor toys." --Scott Adams