nanogui: microwindows

Subject: RE: [nanogui] microwindows
From: Simon Wood ####@####.####
Date: 17 Apr 2002 11:27:49 -0000

Hi again,
The source code when built on Linux results in a number of executables (in the bin
directory):
*	Nano-X server, a bit like a X server will display a blank page and wait
for applications to connect to it.
*	Nano-X demos, these connect to the server.
*	Microwindows demos, these contain both the application and the server
and are run 'stand alone'.

What and How things are built is controlled by the config file. There are a number
of sample configs in the Configs directory. Just edit the sections for the options
you want.

When you build you build for either or both Microwindows and Nano-X, they are
not exclusive, but they are not compatible which other. The advantage comes
that they both use the same underlying drivers, so you only need to write those
once.

Nano-X server and applications (normally) communicate through a network stack,
much like X. This enables multiple applications to run simultaneously.

If you are wanting Nano-X, but don't have the networkstack you can specify to
link the Nano-X server into the application. This produces a combined application
in the same manner as the Microwindows stuff, but also means you can have only
one application running at time.

Simon.