nanogui: request for font utilities

Subject: Re: request for font utilities
From: Ben Pfaff ####@####.####
Date: 10 May 1999 16:45:53 -0000

Greg Haerr ####@####.#### writes:

   > Here, let me explain the rationale behind the cursor hotspot: the
   > hotspot is the point at which the user expects the pointer is
   > pointing.  For the standard arrow cursor, this is the pixel directly
   > to the upper-left of the arrow itself; i.e., it's not actually part of
   > the bitmap.  This is intentional.

	   Well, I understand that, except that with negative hotspot
   numbers, the graphics subsystem can't create proper "cursor clipping bounding
   boxes" for the mouse cursor.  In other words, when graphics output
   is being performed near the cursor, the cursor needs to be erased, graphics output
   occurs, then the cursor is redrawn.   In all other operating systems, the
   cursor hotspot is part of the cursor image , that is, some part of the image's bounding
   rectangle.  We would have to special case upper-level code to handle this case.

   Another solution would be to move the cursor south-east one pixel in it's own
   bitmap, and then make the hotspot 0,0.  This gives the effect you want:  that of
   the hotspot not being the "tip" of the cursor.

Either way is fine, I guess.  The reason I chose (-1,-1) for the
cursor hotspot originally was that that was the way I remembered
Microsoft doing it years and years ago in the Microsoft Mouse driver
for DOS, and now that I look it up in my ancient manual, I was right.
But emulating Microsoft is not exactly desirable most of the time :-)
It's fine with me however you want to change it.