nanogui: Status?

Subject: Re: Status?
From: Alex Holden ####@####.####
Date: 6 Sep 1999 10:52:32 -0000

On Mon, 6 Sep 1999, Vidar Hokstad wrote:
> What is the current status of Nano X?

As I told somebody else just this morning, it's more or less "in stasis"
as I'm currently working up to 13 hours a day on another project.

> I'm working on a widget set for Nano-X now (based on some code Alexander
> Peuchert wrote and was nice enough to send me), and during that work I've
> found quit a bit of bugs, in particular in the network support...

The original network code was wrong from the outset, what it should have
done instead of a command response, was to package up the request and
stick it in a queue, which should be forwarded to the server in one block
whenever a function is executed which requires a result to be returned. I
started doing this, and I think the code I did is in the CVS.

> Some of them I've fixed, some I'm still struggling with.

If it's in the networking code, I'd abandon it and start again with the
new model (much more efficient and less problems with error conditions).

> So, is anyone working on modifications, fixes etc. to Nano-X that aren't
> publicly available yet? I'd love to take a look at any work in
> progress, and help out if possible. And what is the current official tree,
> and who would be the right person(s) to send patches to?

My preference is for people to use the CVS tree on linuxhacker.org. If
anyone else wants write access, just let me know.

> Btw., we're finally hiring more developers, and I'll allocate at least one
> of them to work on Nano-X, and also to port the open sourced flash player.
> We're also sharing the cost for a developer to port a web browser to
> Nano-X with another company.

Cool. You're not the first person to say that they are seriously
considering allocating a developer to work full time on Nano-X either :)
I'd really like to see Nano-X take off, I just don't have any free time to
work on it. Linuxhacker.org is of course always at your disposal for
mailing list, web, ftp, cvs, etc. services...

--------------- Linux- the choice of a GNU generation. --------------
: Alex Holden (M1CJD)- Caver, Programmer, Land Rover nut, Radio Ham :