nanogui: Nano-X display problem: swapped pixel columns w/ Kyocera QVGA LCD, also touchscreen mapping issue

Previous in thread: 28 Jan 2003 16:53:52 -0000 Nano-X display problem: swapped pixel columns w/ Kyocera QVGA LCD, also touchscreen mapping issue, Marc W. Cygnus

Subject: Re: [nanogui] Nano-X display problem: swapped pixel columns w/ Kyocera QVGA LCD, also touchscreen mapping issue
From: David Muse ####@####.####
Date: 28 Jan 2003 16:53:52 -0000

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 10:28:25 -0600
"Marc W. Cygnus" ####@####.#### wrote:

> Apologies in advance for posting... I am looking for the source of the
> issue and a solution myself, but my project is high priority enough that
> I wanted to make a query here first, in parallel.
>
> I have an ADS Graphics Client Plus with a Kyocera KCS057QV1AD-G23
> passive color QVGA 3-bit LCD (w/ the SA configured to drive it in frame
> modulation mode, yielding a more reasonable 12 bits, 4-4-4, though
> subject to the time constant).
>
> I'm running the correct kernel with SA register settings appropriate for
> the display. On boot, Tux shows up correctly.
>
> When I run any Nano-X application, however, I see even and odd pixel
> columns swapped. To be precise: column 0 and 1 are swapped, 2 and 3 are
> swapped, and so forth. The screen image appears to be the proper size,
> however (QVGA, 320 x 240).
>
> Nano-X is compiled with FRAMEBUFFER=Y.
>
> Has any one seen behavior like this in any other situations?

I've seeen a very similar situation on a greyscale LCD.

The LCD I use is 4 bppp and has a 4 bit data bus.  For some reason, it
expects to get pixels in this order: 1,0,3,2  instead of 0,1,2,3.
I'm not sure why, but it sounds like the same problem you're having.

I had to modify the fb4lin.c driver to do a nibble-flip.

I've attached the driver.  Perhaps you could apply similar modifications
to whichever of the color drivers you're using.

Maybe nibble-flipping could be a generic feature in a future release of
microwindows.  It seems like a couple of people have needed nibble-flipping
drivers recently.

Hope this helps.

Dave Muse

> -----
>
> Also, since moving from the original ADS GC+ reference LCD (a VGA
> display) to the Kyocera, I see that the touchscreen is still reporting
> values appropriate for VGA... does there exist calibration code
> anywhere? (In fact, whose issue would that be, Linux or Nano-X?)
>
> Many thanks in advance for any feedback...
>
> -Marc Cygnus

[Content type application/octet-stream not shown. Download]