nanogui: NanoX version 0.3 released

Subject: RE: NanoX version 0.3 released
From: Greg Haerr ####@####.####
Date: 10 May 1999 23:22:57 -0000

My comments follow

On Monday, May 10, 1999 3:28 PM, Alex Holden ####@####.#### wrote:
> On Mon, 10 May 1999, Vidar Hokstad wrote:
> > Hmm :) I have a Netwinder sitting here, didn't think about checking out
> > nano-X on it. Guess I just have to do it :)
>
> Make sure you run a 2.2 kernel on it (the 2.0 framebuffer Corel did was
> incompatible with the general 2.2 design), and make sure it is in 8bpp
> mode. Other than that, it should work just fine.

As soon as Ben finishes the bogl library integration, we'll also support
24 and 32bpp modes...

> > Mozilla is actually getting there. M5 is actually more stable for me than
> > Navigator 4.51 is, in most cases now. Or at least Gecko, the layout
> > engine is. We'll probably ignore XUL and lots of other of the "high end"
> > features. But getting gecko up and running in 1-2MB of flash should
> > certainly be possible.
>
> It'll be very nice if you manage that... They must have slimmed things
> down a lot since last time I looked (tens of megabytes of libraries that
> took a couple of minutes just to load into memory).
>
> > The good thing about Mozilla, is that there is widget rendering code for
> > the HTML form widgets included that use the same graphics and event
> > abstraction layer that the rest of the layout engine uses, so there's a
> > fairly small set of primitive drawing functions that must be modified to
> > work with NanoX, and the GDK implementation should be a good starting
> > point - the API isn't _that_ different.

	I know I'm being obtuse, but, what is GDK?

> We should be writing a GDK port for Nano-X eventually anyway. You may want
> to help with that rather than grafting Mozilla directly onto Nano-X
> itself.

	Nano-X is still very very primitive, and I haven't made it match the Xlib
standard yet.  We've got all sorts of driver work before we can get pretty applications
running on top of it, like supporting XOR drawing modes, text output without
background fill, etc.

I would be very interested in seeing now what the Mozilla requirement is for low-level
functionality. Do you have anything in writing?