nanogui: flnx

Subject: Re: [nanogui] FLNX
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 23 Aug 2005 17:42:30 +0100

: I looked at the NxZilla http://nxzilla.sourceforge.net/#Introduction but
: that project seems to be inactive.  I was going to try and build this
: version of NxZilla but ran into problems obtaining the mozilla-1.0rc2
: package which is mentioned on the site
: http://nxzilla.sourceforge.net/#Introduction.  The problem also with this
: software is that it is quite old.

I have copies of the nxzilla source that implements the nano-X
backend, if anybody's still interested in getting that HUGE
program running again using a later version.  Mozilla is
so big, its hard to debug problems when something
doesn't work quite right, although I did finally get a version
that at least ran for a while.  (Not production quality though!)

:
: I tried ViewMl but that also has its problems.  I was able to compile and
: link the Nano-X server, Nanowm windows manager, and FLNX, but when it came
: to compiling ViewMl I ran into a slew of compiler problems which seem to
be
: related to the particular version of the gcc compiler one uses.  I was
using
: gcc 3.3 but from reading some of the e-mails out there ViewMl only
compiles
: with gcc 2.96.  I would go back and get the 2.96 compiler but would prefer
: not to do that as I would have to switch back and forth.

ViewML was developed a long time ago as an experiment, and
we specifically didn't want to have to become browser-maintainers.
ViewML doesn't support modern HTML sites, since it uses the
original KDE 1.0 html engine.  Also, as you've found, there
are quite a few issues with the non-portability of C++,
and ViewML is stuck at gcc 2.96 for the time being.  There
have been some patches floating around for gcc 3.3.