nanogui: Thread: NanoX version 0.3 released

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 5 [>] [>>]
Subject: NanoX version 0.3 released
From: Greg Haerr ####@####.####
Date: 10 May 1999 16:54:29 -0000

Fellow NanoX interested parties:

I have today finished work on nanoX version 0.3, which includes the following features:

	o completely seperate driver api and drivers for screen, mouse and keyboard.
All drivers are in a drivers/ subdirectory.  It's really easy to write a driver set for some
strange box, providing you know how the strange box's low-level graphics code should
work.

	o low level screen driver doesn't need to know anything about clipping, and
can run with as little as DrawPixel implemented.  All common code, such
as Bresenham line draws and circles, ellipses, etc and clipping is in the common
mid level nanoX code.

	o Linux drivers include support for BOGL screen libraries, GPM mouse
and /dev/tty keyboard support. (we still can't use unmodified BOGL libraries, I'm working
with Ben on this)

	o MSDOS driver support.  I wrote a 640x480x16 color driver in about 45 minutes.
NanoX now runs on DOS!  (OK, I did this only to see how portable nanoX is, and the
mouse driver still isn't written)  This still uses MSC graphics library.  I'll have the bios
int10 version driver done shortly, which will allow nanoX to run on ELKS!  We should
have an ELKS version shortly...   BTW, the nanoX kernel is around 20k on DOS...

	o Full cursor clipping is now working, which makes cursor
movement over graphical output work well.  (This version still doesn't quite
draw rectangles properly, more on coordinate systems in another email...)

	o Many bug fixes

Greg

> I have today finished work on nanoX version 0.3, which includes the following features:
>
> 	o completely seperate driver api and drivers for screen, mouse and keyboard.
> All drivers are in a drivers/ subdirectory.  It's really easy to write a driver set for some
> strange box, providing you know how the strange box's low-level graphics code should
> work.
>
> 	o low level screen driver doesn't need to know anything about clipping, and
> can run with as little as DrawPixel implemented.  All common code, such
> as Bresenham line draws and circles, ellipses, etc and clipping is in the common
> mid level nanoX code.
>
> 	o Linux drivers include support for BOGL screen libraries, GPM mouse
> and /dev/tty keyboard support. (we still can't use unmodified BOGL libraries, I'm working
> with Ben on this)
>
> 	o MSDOS driver support.  I wrote a 640x480x16 color driver in about 45 minutes.
> NanoX now runs on DOS!  (OK, I did this only to see how portable nanoX is, and the
> mouse driver still isn't written)  This still uses MSC graphics library.  I'll have the bios
> int10 version driver done shortly, which will allow nanoX to run on ELKS!  We should
> have an ELKS version shortly...   BTW, the nanoX kernel is around 20k on DOS...
>
> 	o Full cursor clipping is now working, which makes cursor
> movement over graphical output work well.  (This version still doesn't quite
> draw rectangles properly, more on coordinate systems in another email...)
>
> 	o Many bug fixes
>
> Greg

Alexander Peuchert
http://www.peuchert.de ( not very interesting yet ;-) )