nanogui: Thread: Alexander is back from holidays ...

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Alexander is back from holidays ...
From: Alexander Peuchert ####@####.####
Date: 14 Jun 1999 11:51:34 -0000

Hi everybody,

finally I'm back. After 3 weeks of relaxing( almost) and one year of hard
working for my diploma thesis, I'm back in the normal life. Well, almost.
I start working tomorrow. :-(

Before my holidays, I was only a spectator to the nano-X development, but
now I will contribute something to it. ( I hope it will be usable).

I took my laptop with me and hacked a little bit on nano-X. In this email
I will give you a short overview on what I did. Tomorrow, if I have some
sparetime, I will send some emails going more into details.

- I did a very rudimentary GGI driver for nano-X. It's only usable to use
the nano-X server on X. It's far from being complete and I hope that the
other one that will be included in the next release is better ...

- while looking in the code I realised that some functions are missing.
There is no bitblitting function and I haven't figured out how color
managment is done. (Well, I didn't looked at it ...)

- I started to code a widget set. ( I hope it doesn't interfere with the
talk that has been going on at this list lately.) It's in the pre-alpha
stage, But works pretty good. 10 widgets are already there including
buttons, containers, labels, toolbars, etc. and it's completly done in C.
The good news is that the shared lib is about 40k right now and the static
one about 20k. So it deserves to be called nano-Toolkit.

Following mails are about to come ...

- alex

Alexander Peuchert
####@####.####
http://www.peuchert.de ( not very interesting yet ;-) )

: - while looking in the code I realised that some functions are missing.
: There is no bitblitting function and I haven't figured out how color
: managment is done. (Well, I didn't looked at it ...)

	There is very little color management in nano-X.  Basically,
version 0.5-pre1 assumes a fixed palette of 16 colors.  (unacceptable
to get any modern 3d shading...)

	If you need color management, I have a version that supports
24 bit RGB to 8 bit palette conversion, along with weighted distance-squared
color matching...  This version has quite a bit more color and font functionality.

	There is no bitblt, because there are no off-screen graphics contexts,
so there's no need to move screen memory around.  I have a plan to add
full-blown drawing primitives to pixmaps etc, and at that time, bitblt will be needed.
Do you have another need for bitblt?

:
: - I started to code a widget set. ( I hope it doesn't interfere with the
: talk that has been going on at this list lately.) It's in the pre-alpha
: stage, But works pretty good. 10 widgets are already there including
: buttons, containers, labels, toolbars, etc. and it's completly done in C.
: The good news is that the shared lib is about 40k right now and the static
: one about 20k. So it deserves to be called nano-Toolkit.

	This is impressive.  20k is about half the size of nano-X itself,
but I'm not surprised.  I've been implementing button and checkbox over the weekend
for Micro-win, and they're about 7k.

	Are you writing this from scratch, or from X-memory?

Greg

>         This is impressive.  20k is about half the size of nano-X itself,
> but I'm not surprised.  I've been implementing button and checkbox over the weekend
> for Micro-win, and they're about 7k.
>
>         Are you writing this from scratch, or from X-memory?
>
> Greg

Will micro-win be available for doenload at any time ??

Stuart.