nanogui: Thread: about nanowm

[<<] [<] Page 2 of 2 [>] [>>]
Subject: Re: [nanogui] about nanowm
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 3 Jul 2002 03:27:55 -0000

>      May i use the microwindows with nanowm when LINK_APP_INTO_SERVER is
set to  Y mode ? If so how can i do it ?

I was meaning to make this work, but currently,
it will not work.  To make it work, the
server code should "call out" callbacks to
the window manager, rather than sending messages
via an event queue.

>     By the way if viewml can work when microwin is in LINK_APP_INTO_SERVER
= Y mode  ?

This may work, providing that only a single thread
in ViewML calls the nano-X GrXXX routines.
Jason - what do you think?

From: Alex Holden ####@####.####
Date: 3 Jul 2002 07:44:11 -0000

xgzhang wrote:
>      May i use the microwindows with nanowm when LINK_APP_INTO_SERVER is set to  Y mode ? If so how can i do it ?

You could but it would be pointless because you wouldn't be able to run
any other applications for the WM to manage.

>     By the way if viewml can work when microwin is in LINK_APP_INTO_SERVER = Y mode  ?

It should be possible with a little hacking, but remember that would be
the _only_ application you could run.

--
------------ Alex Holden - http://www.linuxhacker.org ------------
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer

From: Alex Holden ####@####.####
Date: 3 Jul 2002 09:59:34 -0000

xgzhang wrote:
> Yes , i don't care it is a single task program . Can you tell me how i can put nano-x and nanowm together ?

Just set LINK_APP_INTO_SERVER = Y and run make. You can run it as
demos/nanowm

Note that you will not be able to do anything other than move the
pointer around as only nanowm is running and you can't run any other
applications. As I said before, it is pointless.

What you may be able to do is to integrate nanowm into your own
application. I'm not saying that will be an easy task, but it might be
easier than either writing your own WM code or hacking Nano-X to be able
to do the WM internally. The MPL license means that you can include
source files from nanowm in your application as long as you make
available any changes you made to them.

--

Subject: Re: about nanowm
From: "Aaron J. Grier" ####@####.####
Date: 3 Jul 2002 17:41:40 -0000

On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 08:12:10PM -0700, Greg Haerr wrote:

> > By the way if viewml can work when microwin is in
> > LINK_APP_INTO_SERVER = Y mode  ?
>
> This may work, providing that only a single thread in ViewML calls the
> nano-X GrXXX routines.

or you can do what we do with RTEMS and stick a lock around all the Gr*
functions to ensure that only one thread at a time is in nano-X.  it is
not elegant or the best way to do things, but it does work.  I can send
a makefile snippet and code to anybody who's interested.

microwin/nano-X is probably never going to be completely reentrant, but
at least it would be nice to have hooks in place for fine-grained data
locking.  if I only I had the time.  ;)

--
  Aaron J. Grier  |   Frye Electronics, Tigard, OR   |  ####@####.####
Subject: Re: [nanogui] Re: about nanowm
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 3 Jul 2002 17:58:59 -0000

> or you can do what we do with RTEMS and stick a lock around all the Gr*
> functions to ensure that only one thread at a time is in nano-X.  it is
> not elegant or the best way to do things, but it does work.  I can send
> a makefile snippet and code to anybody who's interested.

If you've got a makefile that does this automatically, I'd love
to see it.  I'll take a look at it and merge it with the main
tree.  I think we could give nano-X multi-thread support,
it doesn't need to be completely reentrant for that.