nanogui: Thread: link app into server

[<<] [<] Page 2 of 2 [>] [>>]
Subject: Re: [nanogui] LINK APP INTO SERVER
From: "Robbie" ####@####.####
Date: 12 May 2006 15:34:20 +0100

A while back I remember someone telling me not to use GrCheckNextEvent but use GrGetNextEvent in my event loop.
It turns out that GrGetNextEvent will block for a considerible period of time and that appears to be where the problem is.
I've changed back to GrCheckNextEvent and I can see all my thread running as expected, expecially my main application event loop.

Is this a favourable assessment?

Thanks.

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com

: A while back I remember someone telling me not to use GrCheckNextEvent but
use GrGetNextEvent in my event loop.
: It turns out that GrGetNextEvent will block for a considerible period of
time and that appears to be where the problem is.
: I've changed back to GrCheckNextEvent and I can see all my thread running
as expected, expecially my main application event loop.
:
: Is this a favourable assessment?

No - GrCheckNextEvent will never block, thus your application
will use 100% CPU time, even when its not doing anything.  This
CPU sucking is not generally desireable.  Also, GrNextEvent is
supposed to block, possibly forever, until either keyboard, mouse,
or a programmatic timeout event occurs.

: > > Sent: Wed, 10 May 2006 16:46:01 -0400 (EDT)
: > > To: ####@####.####
: > > Subject: [nanogui] LINK APP INTO SERVER
: > >
: > >
: > > Hi All,
: > >
: > > I've been trying to figure out how to use nanox with the option
: > > LINK_APP_INTO_SERVER = y.
: > >
: > > I notice there is no nanox server app, so where do I start from?
: > >
: > > Could someone tell me how this is used and how to get started?
: > >
: > >
: >
[...]
: > The most personalized portal on the Web!
: >
: >
: >
: > For additional commands, e-mail: ####@####.####
: Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com
: The most personalized portal on the Web!

>: A while back I remember someone telling me not to use GrCheckNextEvent but
use GrGetNextEvent in my event loop.
>: It turns out that GrGetNextEvent will block for a considerible period of
time and that appears to be where the problem is.
>: I've changed back to GrCheckNextEvent and I can see all my thread running
as expected, expecially my main application event loop.
>:
>: Is this a favourable assessment?

>No - GrCheckNextEvent will never block, thus your application
will use 100% CPU time, even when its not doing anything. This
CPU sucking is not generally desireable. Also, GrNextEvent is
supposed to block, possibly forever, until either keyboard, mouse,
or a programmatic timeout event occurs.

One of my thread sets a flag to update the screen without an Expose event (blitting). In This case, since GrGetNextEvent blocks, that would be a bad choice because I'll never get around to reading this flag which is in my event loop. That's why I've used GrCheckNextEvent since it will not block and I can use it in my event loop. If there is a better mechanism, my ears are opened.

Thanks,
--Robbie

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com

From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 15 May 2006 17:27:31 +0100

: since GrGetNextEvent blocks, that would be a bad choice because I'll never
get around to reading this flag which is in my event loop. That's why I've
used GrCheckNextEvent since it will not block and I can use it in my event
loop. If there is a better mechanism, my ears are opened.

GrGetNextEventTimeout

This will block for either an event or a specified # of ms.