nanogui: Thread: modifier keys

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: modifier keys
From: "Amit Kulkarni" ####@####.####
Date: 3 Jan 2001 16:30:34 -0000

hi,

How soon can we expect the modifier keys to be implemented in nano-X
(atleast ctrl,alt,shift).
It is pretty difficult to think about some applications (like ctrl + click)
if the modifiers cannot be used.

Also in what version might GR_KEYSTROKE_CONTENT_SPECIAL or something similar
come into existance. Even simple code becomes rather dirty and cryptic due
to absence of a solid scheme to handle the keyboard events.
i.e. u need a state diagram to catch "home" "end" like keys.

Is there any way by which i can get the direct scancodes instead of the
regular keyboard events?

Regards,
Amit Kulkarni

Visit me at http://www.amitkulkarni.com

The modifier keys should already be working in the X11 driver.  But I
don't know about the other drivers (but I believe that they work,
because I don't remember them not working).

But hang on, the new keyboard drivers are coming soon in the next
release, complete with scancodes and other goodies.

Jordan

Amit Kulkarni wrote:

> hi,
>
> How soon can we expect the modifier keys to be implemented in nano-X
> (atleast ctrl,alt,shift).
> It is pretty difficult to think about some applications (like ctrl + click)
> if the modifiers cannot be used.
>
> Also in what version might GR_KEYSTROKE_CONTENT_SPECIAL or something similar
> come into existance. Even simple code becomes rather dirty and cryptic due
> to absence of a solid scheme to handle the keyboard events.
> i.e. u need a state diagram to catch "home" "end" like keys.
>
> Is there any way by which i can get the direct scancodes instead of the
> regular keyboard events?
>
> Regards,
> Amit Kulkarni
>
> Visit me at http://www.amitkulkarni.com

i use the tty keyboard driver (and run it in fb mode. not on x11).
the doc says that GrGetScreenInfo returns the modifiers that have been
implemented.
the screeninfo.modifier after calling this returns 0.

What is the release date for this next version of microwindows?

Amit

>From: Jordan Crouse ####@####.####
>To: Amit Kulkarni ####@####.####
>CC: ####@####.####
>Subject: Re: modifier keys
>Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 09:41:32 -0700
>
>The modifier keys should already be working in the X11 driver.  But I
>don't know about the other drivers (but I believe that they work,
>because I don't remember them not working).
>
>But hang on, the new keyboard drivers are coming soon in the next
>release, complete with scancodes and other goodies.
>
>Jordan
>
>Amit Kulkarni wrote:
> >
> > hi,
> >
> > How soon can we expect the modifier keys to be implemented in nano-X
> > (atleast ctrl,alt,shift).
> > It is pretty difficult to think about some applications (like ctrl +
>click)
> > if the modifiers cannot be used.
> >
> > Also in what version might GR_KEYSTROKE_CONTENT_SPECIAL or something
>similar
> > come into existance. Even simple code becomes rather dirty and cryptic
>due
> > to absence of a solid scheme to handle the keyboard events.
> > i.e. u need a state diagram to catch "home" "end" like keys.
> >
> > Is there any way by which i can get the direct scancodes instead of the
> > regular keyboard events?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Amit Kulkarni
> >
> > Visit me at http://www.amitkulkarni.com

Correct!  After further review, it becomes apparent that the TTY drivers
does not support the modifiers.

Greg is working on the release as we speak, but I have no official word
for when it will be available.

Jordan