nanogui: Thread: framebuffer

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: framebuffer
From: "Kyle Harris" ####@####.####
Date: 17 Nov 1999 03:08:52 -0000

Hi,

I'm trying to run microwindows on /dev/fb0. My machine has a S3Trio card.
S3triofb.c fails to compile (missing some asm/ header files and other
errors) when rebuilding the kernel. I am able to build the kernel using the
vga16fb device, but need to run with 1024x768 and 16 bpp. Does anyone have
experience with the S3 framebuffer or am I missing something?

Thanks

Kyle Harris
####@####.####

: I'm trying to run microwindows on /dev/fb0. My machine has a S3Trio card.
: S3triofb.c fails to compile (missing some asm/ header files and other
: errors) when rebuilding the kernel. I am able to build the kernel using the
: vga16fb device, but need to run with 1024x768 and 16 bpp. Does anyone have
: experience with the S3 framebuffer or am I missing something?

The framebuffer stuff in Linux is a pain in the @$$.  Microwindows should
run on the vga16fb device autodetected.  I've got an ATI card and I still can't
get it to run in anything more than 640x480.  Perhaps the kernel mailing list
would help for the compile errors.

Greg

> : I'm trying to run microwindows on /dev/fb0. My machine has a S3Trio
card.
> : S3triofb.c fails to compile (missing some asm/ header files and other
> : errors) when rebuilding the kernel. I am able to build the kernel using
the
> : vga16fb device, but need to run with 1024x768 and 16 bpp. Does anyone
have
> : experience with the S3 framebuffer or am I missing something?
>
> The framebuffer stuff in Linux is a pain in the @$$.  Microwindows should
> run on the vga16fb device autodetected.  I've got an ATI card and I still
can't
> get it to run in anything more than 640x480.  Perhaps the kernel mailing
list
> would help for the compile errors.

I have mwin running on the vga16fb. But, just to make sure I understand...
vga16fb supports at most 640x480 and 16 colors, right? In order to run
1024x768 with 16 bpp I'll need a fb driver specific for my video card that
runs in extended graphic modes. Is this correct? It looks like the
S3triofb.c was written for a PowerPC platform, as I found the platform
specific asm header files there.

Kyle Harris
####@####.####

From: "Louis P. Santillan" ####@####.####
Date: 17 Nov 1999 18:52:27 -0000

I know it would be slow...be couldn't you use VESA mode for this?  As long
you have a monitor for this...VESA would be acceptable (maybe 10-30%
slower).  If you implement LFB (VESA 2) for it, that would be cool too.
If you dont know where to start this, try looking at the Allegro &
FreeBE/AF sources.  S3 support is in there.  Try these links...
<http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/freebe/index.html>
<http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/allegro/>

Louis
"If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his a$$ when he hopped!"
                          - Red Foreman of That '70s Show

From: mohanreddy.b ####@####.####
Date: 23 Jun 2008 10:20:32 -0000

Hi ,

         Can i use two frame buffer devices(fb0 and fb1) for display screen
at a time.i have two images to draw on to the display screen.i need to draw
one image in fb0 and another one on fb1 device. is it possible display two
images at a time.
if i make any change in 1st image then i need to redraw only fb0 device.

Thanks
Mohan.

Subject: Re: [nanogui] framebuffer
From: "Greg Haerr" ####@####.####
Date: 23 Jun 2008 15:03:09 -0000

:         Can i use two frame buffer devices(fb0 and fb1) for display screen
: at a time.i have two images to draw on to the display screen.i need to
draw
: one image in fb0 and another one on fb1 device. is it possible display two
: images at a time.

No, nano-X only supports one display device at a time.

: if i make any change in 1st image then i need to redraw only fb0 device.

You could possibly run each server with a different FRAMEBUFFER=
environment variable.  They won't work concurrently, you'd have to run
the first, exit, then run the second.  This likely won't work well
if there needs to be communications between them.

Otherwise, you'll have to hack the server to allow communications
to another output device.  In some cases, this might be accomplished
by just changing psd->addr after opening the second device and
performing the ioctl to map it into server memory.  Then only
the address needs to be changed, a relatively simple operation
with a new opcode from the client.

From: mohanreddy.b ####@####.####
Date: 24 Jun 2008 05:56:43 -0000

is there any another way to speed up the display screen .now for me it is
taking time to display images.
please any one give some idea.

Regards
Mohan.

From: "Walter A. Alcantara Garrote" ####@####.####
Date: 16 Jul 2019 12:21:30 -0000

Hi,

with version 0.91, Microwindows show correctly png images but with the last version (0.94pre) doesn't show the image with correct colors.

after compiled with this config file you can run demo-composite or demo-blit directly on console.

other thing i'm getting error when i compile with vnc server.

i used:

- Slackware 14.2 kernel 4.4.14-smp
- jpeg9c
- png 1.6.37
- freetype 2.10
From: "Walter A. Alcantara Garrote" ####@####.####
Date: 16 Jul 2019 12:24:08 -0000

De: "walter" ####@####.####
Para: "nanogui" ####@####.####
Enviadas: Terça-feira, 16 de julho de 2019 9:19:02
Assunto: Framebuffer

Hi,

with version 0.91, Microwindows show correctly png images but with the last version (0.94pre) doesn't show the image with correct colors.

after compiled with this config file you can run demo-composite or demo-blit directly on console.

other thing i'm getting error when i compile with vnc server.

i used:

- Slackware 14.2 kernel 4.4.14-smp
- jpeg9c
- png 1.6.37
- freetype 2.10

[Content type application/octet-stream not shown. Download]