nanogui: Thread: Re: nanogui Digest 14 Dec 2014 20:08:41 -0000 Issue 1821

[<<] [<] Page 1 of 1 [>] [>>]
Subject: Re: nanogui Digest 14 Dec 2014 20:08:41 -0000 Issue 1821
From: LM ####@####.####
Date: 15 Dec 2014 12:37:50 -0000

On Sun, Dec 14, 2014 at 3:08 PM,  Talmai Oliveira wrote:
>   This is awesome. I remember (many many years back) trying to get something similar to this to work on a specific platform, but unable to build all dependencies. Eventually, we just moved on...

Webkit has a lot of annoying dependencies and is very difficult to
build.  Georg has done a great job of finding and improving a version
that doesn't have quite so many complications in its build.  The skia
back-end (which was created and is supported by Google) can be built
with make.  The rest of the project can be built with cmake.  Most
webkit versions or forks seem to require a Python based build tool
along with Python.  The main branch of webkit is now adding Ruby as a
build requirement as well.  Qt has a version of Webkit that's
typically not as hard to build as some of the other branches and/or
forks.  At this point, Georg's version is easier to build than the Qt
version as well.  I'm not saying webkit is typically easy to build,
but of the various versions and forks I've tried to compile from
source, Georg has the most straight-forward version to build, modify
and work with.  As he mentioned, it doesn't just work with FLTK.  It
can easily be adapted to SDL, command line or other options.

I think wkccc and netrider would make great web options for anyone
interested in software that's lighter, less resource intensive and/or
more efficient than more standard options.  It would be nice to get a
community of users/developers together to help Georg continue to
improve it.

Sincerely,
Laura
http://www.distasis.com/cpp